[vtk-developers] OpenGL backend - 1.1 vs 2.0

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed May 10 09:40:30 EDT 2017

Yes :-) The thought was that the old backend would go away fairly quickly
and then OpenGL2 would be renamed OpenGL. I don't think we expected the old
backend to be needed this long. One of the reasons I'd like to see Mesa as
a fallback is to allow us to get rid of the old backend as at that point we
should have a solution that works on everything above a vt100 :-)

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 03:14:44 -0700, Vladimir Engelgardt wrote:
> > Is there any workaround for this problem, i.e. detect GL version at
> runtime
> > and use 1.1 or 2.0? If no, we are going to switch for OpenGL 1.1.
>
> Note that the 1 vs. 2 meaning is a VTK-ism. The OpenGL2 backend requires
> features from OpenGL 3.2 (at least). The "2" comes from the fact that
> it's the second OpenGL backend, not the version of OpenGL.
>
> --Ben

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.