[vtk-developers] Is vtkprobefilter working correctly ? Here is an example to test…

foufara foufara at yahoo.fr
Sat May 6 04:05:52 EDT 2017

Hi VTK devs !

First thing first, thank you for this amazing tool I'm using every day. :-)

For quite a long time I've been wondering if vtkprobefilter is working
correctly in every case.

Here an example with an extraction of a 3D mesh that I want to probe with 2
points.
vtkprobefilter works on one of these points only.
I read in detail the source code of vtkprobefilter and tried to reproduce it
in python without calling the filter itself but every object and method it
uses.

But I don't get the same results !

On point 0, vtkprobefilter fails but I find a cell on the 12th walk
On point 1, vtkprobefilter does find a cell, but I don't, unless I go until
the 27th walk

Normaly 12 is the max number of walks in vtk (hard coded). Can it change
from one installation to another ? (I used pip)

So I really don't understand why I don't get the same results ?

Besides, even when it or I find a cell, you'll notice that the point in not
necessarily in the cell per se because of the warp aspect of the cell. But
let's say it does not matter for now (although if you know ho to find the
cell that really contains the point, please tell me !)

Here is a link to my data (.vtk file, very light) and a python script which
compares both methods.
The script outputs several data to vtk files that you can open in paraview.
Everything should be straightforward to understand.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Fplxt079XmenF5b1FGemg4VW8
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Fplxt079XmenF5b1FGemg4VW8>

Please can anyone have a look at it and help me understand what's wrong ?

If I'm not clear please tell me !

Thank you !

Raphaël