[vtk-developers] vtkCamera: add an equivalent to UseHorizontalViewAngle for parallel projection?

Stefan Pfeifer s-pfeifer at gmx.net
Tue Mar 21 10:34:39 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

So the vtkCamera interprets the view angle as vertical by default. This
can be changed via

     camera->SetUseHorizontalViewAngle(true);

One of the effects is that the resizing behaviour of the windows
changes: The view now gets adjusted when the window's width changes, not
the height as before. At least that's my use case.

My problem is that this doesn't work with the parallel projection, as
there is no equivalent method to change the direction of the
ParallelScale. It's always vertical. So my suggestion would be to add
exactly that. Maybe call it SetUseHorizontalParallelScale so it would be
consistent with the Get/Set methods:

     Perspective: Get/SetViewAngle <-> Get/SetUseHorizontalViewAngle
     Parallel: Get/SetParallelScale <-> Get/SetUseHorizontalParallelScale

I haven't contributed before so I wanted to get some feedback on this
first. It doesn't seem very difficult to implement, so if you guys think
it makes sense I could give it a try.

Best regards
Stefan