[vtk-developers] Various issues on my dashboards... help needed...

Allie Vacanti allison.vacanti at kitware.com
Wed Aug 16 13:54:26 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:
> Allison, do you think you can work on the data array warnings?
>
> I think if both Allison and I take care of those it should whittle down the
> list to a more manageable size to start getting others to help out with.

I think we should just disable the unused-template warnings. Most of
these cases depend on the ArrayDispatch configuration and can't be
removed without breaking features, even though some builds don't use
them.

For instance, many of these are specialized overloads for workers that
optimize for vtkSOADataArrays, but by default we don't dispatch these
arrays and thus these overloads are unused for default builds. It'd be
a lot of unnecessary code clutter and CMake magic to determine when
specific overloads would need to be ifdef'd out...it really just
sounds like a big headache for nothing :)

At the end of the day, these template functions are not useless
(certain builds use them), there's no impact on the compiled binary
(they aren't compiled unless they're used), and they're not worth
fixing IMO (lots of CMake magic and preprocessor work to solve a
non-problem).

Allie