[vtk-developers] VTK Developer Trends

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:05:26 EDT 2017

Folks,

There has been a lot of talk lately on the VTK and ITK lists about
attracting more developers. Many subjective suggestions are being
discussed.

>From my GE 6Sigma training, I recall that a more objective approach
can be useful.

The first step in the process is to measure, then analyze, followed by
improve and control.

I generated a spreadsheet that tracks the number of developers,
developers gained and developers lost for each year from 1995 through
2016. I've attached a PDF of the spreadsheet.

For example, in 1995 there were 3 developers (guess who). In 2016
there were 99 developers. By developer I mean at least one checkin to
the repository.

In 2010 we gained 23 developers but lost 48. Why?
In 2016 we gained 28 but lost 50.

I'll post the individual files on the VTK wiki. I'll also do the same
measurements for ITK and Slicer.

Bill