[vtk-developers] Delayed mouse interaction due to event-loop bug in Qt5

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Apr 11 12:45:40 EDT 2017

elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

>> Thanks David & Clint for your insights.
>>
>> David: Is your VTK/Qt widget class something you could share? It
>> sounds like it has accumulated a lot of battlefield wisdom that could
>> be useful to others :)
>

> It's part of an internal project, so I can't release it (or at least, not
yet).

Alright.

>> Regarding your noop QPaintEngine, what problem have you bumped into
>> that this is solving?
>

> This was needed in order to get rendering to work on a Windows system.
> Qt was always erasing the VTK scene by painting over it with the widget's
> background color.  I tried setting the WA_NoSystemBackground flag and
> the WA_PaintOnScreen flag to stop Qt from doing this, but the only trick
> that always worked was replacing the QPaintEngine with a dummy.

Ah, very interesting. I was porting our app to Windows just today actually.
Only just gotten it to build, but can't test running it yet since I'm
relegated to VirtualBox until we get a Windows test machine, and the
VirtualBox OpenGL driver is not capable enough (ARB_geometry_shader4
missing, probably more). Thanks for the heads up, I may run into this soon.

Elvis