[vtk-developers] VTK Textbook and User's Guide now available for download

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Sep 16 09:59:02 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 4:14 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The best way to ensure broad collaboration on the textbook is to wikify it.
> > After all, this is exactly what wikis were designed for: they make it easy
> > to track changes, they provide discussion space that's directly linked to
> > the content, there's a low barrier to entry, no big files to download, etc.
> >
> > I know that wiki collaboration doesn't always work out as planned, but
> > that's not a failure of the technology, it's a people issue and other
> > technology wouldn't do better.
>
> Over at scipy, we used to have a wiki for docs, but it got pretty
> stale, so we switched our docs over to a repo on github, so it is
> easier to review changes.

I have also seen many wiki efforts go stale, but seen some pretty
successful git repositories using LaTex, Markdown and other formats. I
feel like LaTeX is a good option, and you can include code fragments
with highlighting etc, opening up the possibility of augmenting the
repository to test the code fragments used.