[vtk-developers] UseJitteringOn() has no effect in 7.1.0.rc1

Alvaro Sanchez alvaro.sanchez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 14 09:54:06 EDT 2016

Hi Elvis,

the mapper uses a vtkPerlinNoise instance to generate the jitter noise and
as far as I know there are currently no knobs exposed to tweak the amount
of ray perturbation.  Are you using the GL2 backend?  It would also be good
to know what features are active along with ray jittering (multiple
components, etc.), so if you could provide some sample data or code would
be very helpful.

Thanks!
Alvaro

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Elvis Stansvik <
elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I updated our product to use VTK 7.1.0.rc1, as I was interested in
> trying out vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper::UseJitteringOn() to get rid of
> some woodgrain effects we're suffering from in our volume rendering
> (mostly when the volumes are rendered very opaque).
>
> But turning the option on seems to have little to no effect. This is
> the result with the option on:
>
>     https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22350696/out.ogv
>
> It looks about the same to me as it does with the option off.
>
> Are there any knobs for this option? How does it determine how much to
> perturbate the rays?
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Elvis

Alvaro Sanchez