[vtk-developers] PNGWriter now writing out a black background after 17 Oct.

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 09:24:13 EST 2016

That example is reading RGBA from a buffer that you have not set to have
alpha bitplanes. I do not know what OpenGL does in that case. Maybe the
resulting alpha is undefined. There are a few options here

1) set alpha bitplanes to 8 so that you get alpha

2) see if this is a regression related to VTK and try to find and fix it

3) wait until I revamp the window code on Linux at which point I will be
forcing all windows to have alpha bitplanes. From what I understand RGB
buffers (3 byte alignment) do not really make sense these days and we
should not be using them. They are a legacy from when raster memory was so
limited that saving the alpha bit planes was a big deal.

4) just change the default alpha bitplanes value to  in VTK right now
instead of waiting for the windowing cleanup

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>    For me this still appears to be the case. Try running the attached test
> code.
> In Windows and Linux, TestWIFPNGRGB.png are the same.
> In Windows TestWIFPNGRGBA.png has a transparent background, whilst in
> KUbuntu no image is produced just a transparent background.
>   Are you able to replicate this behaviour?
>
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:22 PM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Andrew, does this still appear to be the case in the 7.1 release branch?
>> If so mind filing a quick issue on gitlab with the 7.1 milestone tag?

> Andrew J. P. Maclean

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.