[vtk-developers] vtkOpenVR

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri May 27 10:50:43 EDT 2016

I believe the factory mechanism will replace any instantiations of
vtkRenderWindow with vtkOpenVRRenderWindow if it is linked into the
executable. From what I have seen that is the trick. The executable has to
be linked against the vtkOpenVR module for the autoinit to work.

Now for Slicer I have no idea how they create their RenderWindow. If they
are explicitly creating a subclass of vtkRenderWindow then the factory code
will not work because it is targeted at the generic vtkRenderWindow level.
A slicer person could maybe tell you more (or digging through the code).  I
think slicer may also open multiple renderwindows, for the OpenVR stuff I
think you would really only want to have one window. etc.

Hope that helps!

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Adam Rankin <arankin at robarts.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have succeeded in replicating Ken Martin’s VTK master build with the
> drop-in replacement classes for outputting to an OpenVR device.
>

> I am looking to build 3D Slicer using this VTK build, and am trying to
> understand the autoinit system, so that the factory implementation for
> these classes kicks in.
>

> What I can’t find is where is the location where the list of classes to be
> autoinit’d is defined. I’ve found the dependency hierarchy traversal in
> vtkModuleMacros.cmake, but I can’t figure out how to add the vtkOpenVR
> module.
>

> Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?
>

> Cheers and thanks!
>
> Adam

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.