[vtk-developers] vtkDataSetGeometryFilter and error reporting

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:50:33 EDT 2016

Folks,

I am writing a unit test for DataSetGeometryFilter. During this
adventure, I noticed that the filter silently ignores the case when
the input dataset has 0 cells. I added error macros for those cases.

In the cdash build for my merge request I see 8 failing tests:
https://open.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=4368497

How to handle this?
1) Do not report the error and silently ignore it. This is the current approach.
2) Issue a warning. A possible compromise.
3) Issue an error.

For 3) I will need to look at each test and see why the number of
cells provided is 0. I don't mind doing this, I might discover other
erros in the orther tests.

Comments please,

Bill

BTW, my unit test covers over 90% of the code now.