[vtk-developers] [Non-DoD Source] Re: merge request for vtkCamera.cxx eyeseparation and near far planes correction (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hennessey, Joseph G CTR USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) joseph.g.hennessey2.ctr at mail.mil
Fri Mar 18 08:47:11 EDT 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

The modifications that I have made are designed to bring the server side
rendering in line with the client rendering in ParaView.
They correct an issue where the server side render used in immersive ParaView
Display does not match what is generated and
Displayed in the ParaView client RenderWindow. The OffAxis projection code is
used on the server side, but is not used to generate
Images for the client display. My goal with these changes is to bring them
closer, but it does not bring them to pixel by pixel perfection,
which is perhaps not even possible given that there are using different
routines to calculate what to display. I do not know why
constants were originally chosen for the near and far planes, for example, but
I do know that they do not work well on different scaled
data clipping the data out of visibility. My changes allow data across a large
range of scales to be visualized and closely approximate
what would be displayed in the ParaView client RenderWindow.

Joseph G. Hennessey Ph.D., Lockheed Martin
Army Research Lab
DOD Supercomputing Resource Center