[vtk-developers] [Non-DoD Source] Re: merge request for vtkCamera.cxx eyeseparation and near far planes correction (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hennessey, Joseph G CTR USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) joseph.g.hennessey2.ctr at mail.mil
Fri Mar 18 08:42:43 EDT 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

The application would still set the eyeseparation with my changes. What I have
done is correct a mismatch between what is shown on the server side screen
with what is generated on the same size screen when visualized in the ParaView
client RenderWindow. The correction I have added for eyeseparation scaling
with distance to the object is a close approximation of what is already being
displayed when the ParaView client RenderWindow displays stereo data. There
were 2 may problems a mismatch of separation across all scales, which I have
corrected as well as an additional  mismatch for very small data (of sizes
less than 1) which I have also corrected. The eyeseparation  now produces
similar results to what is generated for the ParaView client RenderWIndow. The
near and far planes changes were necessary as they were hard coded constants
and did not scale with the size of the data. This was particularly noticeable
for data scaled at 0.001 or smaller, where the data would be clipped out of
visibility on the server side display but would show up just fine in the
ParaView client RenderWindow. By changing the near and far plane to be
relative to the data, I am now more closely approximating what can be seen in
the ParaView client RenderWindow and can visually data across a wide range of
scales. I have tested this routing across scales from 1,000,000 X to
1/1,000,000 X and at every intermediate scale of 10 and the data now clips in
a way  that closely approximates the way it clips in the ParaView client
RenderWindow.

Joseph G. Hennessey Ph.D., Lockheed Martin Army Research Lab DOD
Supercomputing Resource Center