[vtk-developers] Bug Tracker: How to deal with issues closed in error?

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Wed Jul 27 13:24:04 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Peter Mattern <pmattern at arcor.de> wrote:

> Hi Dan.
>
> Thanks for your quick response!
>
> I was aware that you're using "in-tree" copies of a lot of dependencies.
> And note I'm assuming you're doing this for a reason so I certainly don't
> criticise.
> It's just that as an old Linuxer I think using system libraries wherever
> feasible is basically the better solution...

The problem we try to solve with in-tree copies is version differences and
missing libraries on various platforms.

> ad 14126
> The problem is that CMake just doesn't find the system-wide PROJ.4
> instance and hence fails
>
>> [...]
>> -- Found TIFF: /usr/lib64/libtiff.so (found version "4.0.6")
>> CMake Error at CMake/vtkModuleMacros.cmake:864 (message):
>>   VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBPROJ4 is ON but LIBPROJ4 is not found!
>> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>   ThirdParty/libproj4/CMakeLists.txt:1 (vtk_module_third_party)
>>

>> -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>>
> The findings are the very same compiling VTK commit ddcd09c on Arch Linux,
> Debian testing (stretch) and Fedora 24 using either PROJ.4 4.9.2 as
> provided by those distributions or PROJ.4 commit 06a708d compiled on the
> respective system.
> The PROJ.4 commit was compiled either by running autogen, configure
> [--prefix=/usr], make and make install or cmake
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr, make and make install as compiling yields
> slightly different results right now, see
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/378, but this didn't make a
> difference regarding VTK.
>
> Finding a library can be a tricky issue. Unless the library/headers are in
standard locations it won't find them.
If headers/libraries are in a standard location this warrants a bug report.

However you can manually point the configuration variables to the right
locations.
In the cmake configuration program (ccmake or cmake-gui) switch to advanced
variables and make the following two variables point to the correct
location on your system:
LIBPROJ4_INCLUDE_DIR
LIBPROJ4_LIBRARIES

> ad 15549
> I've added a comment describing the current situation but don't seem to be
> able to change field "Status", maybe as I didn't open the issue?

I've changed this to backlog.