[vtk-developers] rules proposal drop "+1" ie, looks ok to me but someone else needs to review as well

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jul 7 08:56:14 EDT 2016

Hey Folks,

As Robert just pointed out, the +1 state in the review process is nothing
but trouble. In practice, it seems to help us avoid responsibility and
delays merging, contributing to the accumulation of stale merge requests
and newbie frustration.

How about we say "+1 means I approve this code and assert that it is ready
to merge". Merge requests from a authorized developers should be promptly
merged after the +1 by the original author. Merge requests from
unauthorized developers should be merged more or less immediately by the
authorized reviewer after the +1.

In either case both authors and reviewers are responsible for watching the
dashboards and addressing issues that come up afterward.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive