[vtk-developers] A problem of data partitioning

张江 zhangjiang.dudu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 11:33:24 EDT 2016

Hi,

In the below code, I was trying to read and partition an unstructured grid data (11.7 GB). However, it always came out an error that:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
=   PID 14658 RUNNING AT compute001
=   EXIT CODE: 134
=   CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
=   YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES

Actually the memory of my computer is about 1.5 TB (96*16 GB modules). I think the memory is enough. Can anyone help me about this problem? Any operation in the program is wrong?

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  vtkMPIController *contr = vtkMPIController::New();
  contr->Initialize(&argc, &argv);

  vtkMultiProcessController::SetGlobalController(contr);
  int numProcs = contr->GetNumberOfProcesses();
  int me = contr->GetLocalProcessId();

  vtkUnstructuredGridReader *reader = vtkUnstructuredGridReader::New();
  vtkUnstructuredGrid *ds = NULL;

  if (me == 0) {
    reader->SetFileName(“data.vtk");
    ds = reader->GetOutput();
    reader->Update();
  } else {
    ds = vtkUnstructuredGrid::New();
  }

  vtkDistributedDataFilter *dd = vtkDistributedDataFilter::New();
  dd->SetInputData(ds);
  dd->SetController(contr);
  dd->UseMinimalMemoryOff();
  dd->SetBoundaryModeToAssignToOneRegion();
  dd->Update();

  int ncells = vtkUnstructuredGrid::SafeDownCast(dd->GetOutput())->GetNumberOfCells();
  fprintf(stderr, "rank = %d, number of cells = %d\n", me, ncells);

  return 0;
}