[vtk-developers] Indentation style and converting to Doxygen style docs

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:14:06 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Will Schroeder <will.schroeder at kitware.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm less concerned about strictly following a specific style as long as
>> each module is internally self-consistent.
>

> I understand what you're saying, I agree that some of the religious style
> arguments are dubious, but if the self-consistent style is a complete and
> utter mess this is bad :-) VTK has a long, enforced history of a reasonable
> style and I'd like to preserve this. Simple things like using camel-case,
> naming variables in verbose fashion, and this-> pointers etc. go a long way
> towards grokking code quickly IMO.

Hi Will, you're correct, I was being too dismissive.  My main worry is that
automatic re-styling of the VTK code can cause "git blame" to give useless
results.  Thats why, when I wrote "vtk_reindent_code.py", I made sure that
it only modifies brace indentation and leaves all other code lines alone.

 - David