[vtk-developers] osmesa status

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Jan 4 08:12:05 EST 2016

I think I heard that OS Mesa does not currently support MSAA or it is
implemented in an odd way for some reason. That could be part of it. Also,
unless you are using the recent patches to OS Mesa to support getting a 3.2
context along with a very recent VTK, then OSMesa is really returning an
older context, not a 3.2 context.  Brian Paul had to make some recent
changes in OSMesa to really return a 3.2 context. We have updated VTK to
use those changes but I'm pretty sure they will not be in Mesa until
version 11.1 or maybe 11.2.

Thanks
Ken

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Geoff Wright <gpwright at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I don't think it is specifically OpenGL2.  I have been using OpenGL2 for 6
> months and the test are all passing on OpenGL2 when I'm using a machine
> with an Nvidia graphics card.  The problem happens when switching to OS
> mesa.
>
> The errors I'm seeing are single pixel or possibly subpixel offsets in the
> image generated by OS-mesa vs images generated by a hardware backed
> driver.  Is this a known issue with OS mesa?  I was wondering whether maybe
> the tests are running by default with MSAA and its not supported on the OS
> mesa back end.
>
> Anyway I will most likely just add some physical machines in my office as
> bamboo agents for the VTK test jobs.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff
>

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think the errors are because the Rendering backend is set to OpenGL2
>> (which recently became the default). If you set your rendering backend
>> to OpenG you should be OK.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Geoff Wright <gpwright at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm using VTK in an internal project and wanted to add some extra
>> regression
>> > tests to support my own use cases.  I setup a new job to build VTK and
>> run
>> > all existing ctest on my CI server (aws ec2 Ubuntu 14.04, no graphics
>> > hardware).
>> >
>> > I noticed that a substantial portion of the tests are currently failing
>> when
>> > using os mesa, due to what looks like sub pixel alignment issues.  Is
>> this a
>> > known problem?  I see that there are a couple of servers on the public
>> VTK
>> > dashboard configured for OS mesa that are also failing approximately 400
>> > tests e.g. https://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=4167821
>> >
>> > I'm wondering if there is any quick fix to get these working, or is it a
>> > known issue with osmesa?  Are the baseline images generated using
>> MSAA?  Is
>> > there an option to change the image comparison to be more generous with
>> > single pixel misalignment?  Should I give up on testing VTK in a VM and
>> set
>> > it up on a physical agent?  I would rather avoid this... any advice is
>> much
>> > appreciated.   I'm using Mesa 11.0.4 which reports OpenGL information as
>> > follows:
>> >
>> > OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
>> > OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
>> > OpenGL core profile version string: 3.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.4
>> > OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.50
>> > OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
>> > OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
> [...]

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.