[vtk-developers] 3D texture mapping VTK7 with OpenGL2

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Aug 9 08:44:19 EDT 2016

The 3D texture support is a bit limited/low level in VTK.
Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkTextureObject supports 3D textures but it is a bit
lower level. That is the class we use within VTK for 3D texture
operations.  You can though, create a TextureObject and assign it to a
vtkOpenGLTexture which you then assign to an actor but the texture
coordinates are by default 2D so you would need some custom shader code to
handle it.

Thanks
Ken

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Haichao Miao <miao at cg.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using VTK7 with OpenGL2, is there a way for me to do 3D texture
> mapping?
>
> Basically, I have two vtkImageData, a data image and a mask image. From
> the mask I extracted polydata using marching cubes. Now I want to use the
> data image as texture and map it on the polydata. Unfortunately, I saw that
> the vtkTexture is not supporting 3D texture.
>
> It is necessary, that I use texture mapping, as I need the texture
> coordinates for later computations.
>
> Would there be a elegant way to do this? Alternatively, I could switch to
> an older version.
>
> Cheers,
> Hai

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.