[vtk-developers] Tcl wrapping and output array arguments

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Mon Mar 30 09:26:32 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:00 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:21 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 8:49 AM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>> Would you have time to do this? It looks like we're going to need to bite
>> the bullet and train the wrappers one way or another. No worries, If you're
>> too busy, I can give it a shot, though I may need to bug you a bit while
>> going through. But I really wouldn't mind taking some time to learn how the
>> wrapping mechanisms work.
>>

> No, I don't have time.  Feel free to bug me with specific questions.

I've started looking into the wrapping code to add support for methods
returning vtkBoundingBox. I think I see what needs to happen, let me know
if anything here sounds wrong:

1) Teach the parser about vtkBoundingBox: (basically duplicating what I see
for vtkUnicodeString)
1a) Add #define VTK_BOUNDING_BOX to vtkType.h
1b) Add VTK_PARSE_BOUNDING_BOX to vtkParseTypeMap in vtkParse.y
1c) Add BoundingBox to the type_name definition in vtkParse.y
1d) Add BoundingBox detection to the guess_id_type method in vtkParse.y.
1e) Add vtkBoundingBox entry in vtkParse.l

2) Teach the wrapper about vtkBoundingBox (Tcl as an example, assuming
others are similar...)
2a) Modify CheckFunctionSignature to allow vtkBoundingBox return types.
2b) Modify output_temp to declare the vtkBoundingBox temporary variable.
2c) Add a special case for vtkBoundingBox return types in outputFunction
that converts to a bounds array.

Sound good? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks a ton!
Dave