[vtk-developers] Adding support for a macro in wrapper

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Mon Mar 23 16:44:23 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:47 PM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'll be sure to test this before I merge -- thanks for the heads up.
>>>

>> Just FYI, the wrappers seem to handle the 'using Superclass::method;'
>> statement as expected :D
>>

> I built your topic (with VTK_LEGACY_REMOVE:BOOL=OFF) and tested GetBounds()
> from the python wrappers to see if the 'using' statement was applied:
>
> from vtk import *
> v = vtkVolume()
> v.GetBounds()
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> TypeError: GetBounds() takes exactly 2 arguments (0 given)
>
> Conclusion: the wrappers do not handle the 'using' statement.  This is
> something that
> I might be able to add later this week  (it's been on my mind for a few
> years, I always
> knew that it would eventually have to be done).

I was surprised to hear this, then I realized my mistake....the code that I
was thinking of used GetCenter, not GetBounds, which was similarly
deprecated but is not virtual, thus no overrides and no need for 'using' --
hence why the tests all still passed...  >.<

I'm glad you retested :) If you can add support for this soon, great! We'll
have to wait for the dust to settle around the possible Tcl deprecation
before this change can go it, so you should have plenty of time!

Thanks,

Dave