[vtk-developers] Tcl wrapping and output array arguments

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:54:22 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com>
wrote:

> My questions:
>
> 1) Is the concept of an "output array argument" even supported by Tcl?

Yes.  I imagine something like this could create a new array called
"bounds":

  % mapper GetBounds renderer bounds

> 2) If so, how can I teach the wrappers about it?

Adding things like this to Tcl is easier than for Java or Python, but it's
more than an afternoon's work.  I believe that Tcl will already wrap this
method, but the wrapped method will expect 6 values as input, instead of
expecting one name for an output array that it should create.  Because the
wrappers can't really tell whether "double[6]" is meant to be used for
input or output, the method will actually have to be wrapped twice, once
for input, and once for output.  There are undoubtedly some tricky
complications that I haven't though of, however.

> 3) If not, is there some way to add a suitable implementation to Tcl, but
> not C++?
>
> And perhaps the most curious question from my point of view,
>
> 4) Why do we still provide Tcl bindings in 2015?

Because they're cool!  Actually, at this point I'm fine with them going
away, but I'd still like to keep Tkinter (which works just fine without the
Tcl wrappers).

> But seriously, can we deprecate them for 6.3?

Any volunteers to convert TestSetGet and TestEmptyInput to python?

 - David