[vtk-developers] Migrating Git repository to Gitlab

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Mar 16 17:21:19 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 17:12:59 -0400, Brad King wrote:
> Please rebase any open topics on 'master' and revise the commit
> messages to drop any existing 'Change-Id' lines (these are not
> needed by GitLab).  Then proceed according to the above-linked
> instructions.

Once you have rebased your changes onto master, the simplest way to
remove the Change-Id markers is:

    GIT_EDITOR="sed -i -e 's/^pick/reword/;/^Change-Id:/d'" git rebase -i origin/master

Basically, it interactively (-i) rebases the branch, changes 'pick' to
'reword' to edit the comment message and then removes any Change-Id
lines from the commit message. One thing to watch for is that if you
have "pick" in your commit message, it will be replaced, so I'd
recommend doublechecking that "reword" doesn't show up in your commit
messages:

    git log master..

after rebasing.

--Ben