[vtk-developers] Migrating Git repository to Gitlab

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Mar 16 17:12:59 EDT 2015

On 03/16/2015 11:02 AM, Brad King wrote:
> We will be turning off permissions to access review.source.kitware.com
> for VTK shortly in preparation for the move to GitLab.

VTK development is now hosted by GitLab here:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk

The top of that page shows the new preferred clone URL:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk.git

It also links to the README.md file which links to CONTRIBUTING.md
which links to the new entry point for Git and developer instructions:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Documentation/dev/git/README.md

In order to update your existing work tree:

 $ git checkout master
 $ git pull
 $ Utilities/SetupForDevelopment.sh

Please rebase any open topics on 'master' and revise the commit
messages to drop any existing 'Change-Id' lines (these are not
needed by GitLab).  Then proceed according to the above-linked
instructions.

The old "git://vtk.org/VTK.git" repository is now a robot-maintained
mirror of the GitLab VTK repository.  The review.source.kitware.com
Gerrit VTK repository is now a read-only archive and not maintained.

Updates of web pages and links on vtk.org are still on-going.  If
after 2015-03-18 you come across an out-dated link, please report it
here.

We are also in the process of updating the test infrastructure to
support the GitLab workflow.  As of this writing Merge Requests
will not yet be tested automatically prior to merging, but the
necessary infrastructure is close to ready.

-Brad