[vtk-developers] GSOC Project Questions

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 16:13:55 EDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:53:19 -0400, David Cardwell wrote:
> I'm a student interested in participating in Google Summer of Code this
> year, and I noticed two projects that I think I could work on for VTK. "Lua
> wrapping, Lua programmable filters" under Half-Baked Ideas and "Templated
> Input Generator for VTK" would be the projects I think I'm the most
> qualified for.

Great!

> I have experience doing Lua wrapping for other open source projects, so I'm
> especially confident I could do the former project.

There is wrapping infrastructure in Wrapping/Tools which does all the
parsing and data extraction already. What would need to be done is to
take those structures and turn them into Lua code to call the right
functions, do type conversions, etc. Extending the wrapping
infrastructure to expose any information Lua needs would be in scope as
well.

> If someone could clarify what people would like to be able do with Lua

Similar things as Python: take VTK objects, put them into a pipeline,
load data, do computations, etc.

> and which parts of the project would need to be wrapped, that would be
> great.

If the wrapping infrastructure is used, "all" of VTK shouldn't be too
much past the initial push. There are bound to be corner cases that will
need to be handled though.

David Gobbi is the main developer behind the wrapping infrastructure,
but I've done some work in it as well.

--Ben