[vtk-developers] Class design for spline visualizations

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Fri Jun 19 19:30:27 EDT 2015

Hi Lin,

I've just realized that the control points for Bézier patches will not have the same coordinates as the NURBs control points. That's because the Bézier patches interpolate their corner control points. So, we cannot just use a mapped data array to provide access to a subset of the NURBS control polygon.

This site:

  http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/issue_25/schneider.html

describes the conversion process for curves in its "CONVERTING NURB TO BÉZIER CURVES" section. Basically, we need to implement knot insertion, which is described in Piegl's NURBS Book in Chapter 5.

The adaptor class shouldn't need to change much, but it might be better not to use a vtkMappedDataArray for the NURBS adaptor since it will have to generate new control points.

	David