[vtk-developers] Pentagonal prism bug resolved!

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 13:31:58 EDT 2015

Folks,

I reported recently of issues with the shape functions and derivatives
for the pentagonal prism. Since I could not find any references for
the current implementation I used the formulation in this paper:
http://dilbert.engr.ucdavis.edu/~suku/nem/papers/polyelas.pdf
Since this paper did not have the shape function derivatives, I used
SymPy ( http://www.sympy.org/en/index.html ) to compute the
derivatives.

I'm happy to report that the new formulation does a great job and
passes the new unit test I created for cells.

I have not submitted a patch yet since I want the code to document the
process. I wrote c++ code and SymPy code to generate the statements
for the new formulation.

I wanted to give a heads up in case someone else is looking into this.

Bill