[vtk-developers] Gentle introduction to vtkSMPTools and vision for parallel computing including VTK-m

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 12:56:08 EDT 2015

I grepped the code to see how many classes directly use the old
vtkMultiThreader for SMP.  It's an amazingly small number, because
multithreading was nicely consolidated into base classes like
vtkThreadedImageAlgorithm and vtkStreamer:

    Common/ExecutionModel/vtkThreadedImageAlgorithm.cxx (base class)
    Filters/FlowPaths/vtkStreamer.cxx (base class)
    Filters/Hybrid/vtkImplicitModeller.cxx
    Rendering/Core/vtkImageMapper3D.cxx
    Rendering/Volume/vtkEncodedGradientEstimator.cxx (base class)
    Rendering/Volume/vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx
    Rendering/Volume/vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx
    Rendering/Volume/vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Replacing_vtkMultiThreader_with_vtkSMPTools

Our GSoC student has been doing a great job updating the
vtkThreadedImageAlgorithm to use vtkSMPTools.  I'll tackle the ImageMapper,
since it's one of my own classes, and I might be able to take a look at the
implicit modeller.

 - David