[vtk-developers] 3DConnexion, regression with VTK6 (was: Build error with 3d Connexion device)

Benoit Rosa benoit.rosa at kuleuven.be
Mon Jul 20 05:11:25 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Following up on the previously reported problem, I just tried to build
everything with VTK 5 (VTK 5.10.1 tarball source available on the VTK
downloads page). The result is that it works perfectly.

I checked again, and in VTK6 the cmake does not make use of the
VTK_TDX_INCLUDE_PATH and VTK_TDX_OBJECT_PATH variables, and as such does
not find the 3DConnexion library at link, even if it is inside the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The problem is the same with the 6.1 and 6.2 tarballs
from the website, as well as with a fresh checkout from the git
repository. I always get a lot of "undefined reference to MagellanX"
errors while building :  http://pastebin.com/MstU9PbN

It seems like a regression to me, since I can't build any VTK 6 version
with TDx support. I had a look at the source files that VTK6 can't build
with TDx support, and they are mostly similar to VTK5 implementations,
so I don't think any problem comes from there. It really looks like
there is a problem in the build process that has been introduced with VTK6.

I will now forward the following of the discussion to the vtk-developers
mailing list, I just posted it on the users list as a pointer, in case
somebody encounters the same problem as I do.

Best,
Benoit

--
Benoit Rosa,  Postdoctoral researcher, PhD

KU Leuven, Department of Mechanical Engineering, division PMA
Celestijnenlaan 300, box 2420
3001 Leuven

Email :benoit.rosa at kuleuven.be
Phone : +32 16 37 79 00