[vtk-developers] Attributing VTK in a commercial app

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Jan 14 16:20:27 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM, David Cole via vtk-developers <
vtk-developers at vtk.org> wrote:

> What do you mean by "Basically the BSD license says you have to have
> VTK's license" ??

Just means that the software has to be able to display VTK's license. Maybe
an about button will say something to the effect of, "parts of this
application use VTK for which the copyright is …."

> Do you mean I need to include the text of VTK's "Copyright.txt" file?
>
> It's a closed-source app, and it will be sold under a commercial
> license. It is not going to have an open-source license.

Totally OK. Lame but OK.

> We are not going to use anybody's name to sell it, but we would like
> to give kudos where kudos are due. i.e. -- we'd like to say "Made with
> VTK!," ... we do not want to say "endorsed by Bill Lorensen..."
> (although we may seek his endorsement separately from this
> conversation....) :-)

Send me a large check and I'll endorse your application.