[vtk-developers] Long failing test

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Jan 6 14:48:42 EST 2015

Nothing to do with OpenGL2, but TestChartXYZ test fails on various
platforms and it has been bugging me.  It turns out it is failing due to
floating point issues. Basically

1)      By default the plot data points define the bounds of the axes for
the chart

2)      the axes define the plot area (clip stuff outside that)

3)      which defines the clipping plane equations

4)      which can in turn clip the original data points subject to floating
point precision

This is what is happening (FYI, the point that disappears in the middle is
actual on the boundary in the depth axis). So ... I can “fix” the test by
defining axes that are slightly bigger than the data and replacing the
valid image. This is what I am planning to do unless someone hollers. I’m
not sure what the more general fix is.

Thanks

Ken

Someone wrote...

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/New-OS-X-10-10-dashboards-tp5729207.html>
by Sean McBride

I suspect a real VTK bug behind this test failure. I get *exactly* the
same test image on my Windows / Visual Studio 2012 dashboards:

http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=266709768&build=3539864

I suspect there is a rounding error or something like that, which is
causing two of the symbols to end up exactly on top of two of the
other symbols.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Sean McBride <[hidden email]
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5729213&i=0>>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had VTK dashboards running on OS X 10.10 for months now, but now
that 10.10 is out and the NDA is over I've directed them to the public
dashboard.

> Can someone please mark these as expected:
>
>  Mac10.10-clang-dbg-x86_64
>         Mac10.10-clang-rel-x86_64

Ken Martin PhD

Chairman & CFO

Kitware Inc.

28 Corporate Drive

Clifton Park NY 12065

ken.martin at kitware.com

518 881-4901 (w)

518 371-4573 (f)

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.