[vtk-developers] Request for a gentler tone in commit message verbiage...

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 14:40:09 EDT 2015

I understand frustration, and venting. I'm not super offended, just
slightly turned off... And asking you to do future venting outside the
VTK git commit history.

I'm not asking you to re-write the commit history now. What's done is
done there -- but I am still asking two specific questions, that got
lost in my "too many words" of the first email:

(1) what was the problem with double and make_pair -- or was that a
misleading commit message because the problem was always with the use
of NULL ... ?

(2) Will you please rephrase the comment here in a future commit?
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/e3d0653de443435533ebfb2db3fa6513e3b5c86b#7d40499821cd2f098d779d9b0da192039787a70a_587_594

because it's simply not true. My code snippet proves that MSVC 2013's
make_pair does NOT have a problem with double -- it has a problem with
arguments of poorly defined type. NULL is possibly just "0" under some
circumstances, which has type "int." If you construct a local variable
of the correct type, with value NULL, then make_pair has no problem
deducing the correct type.

Thanks,
David C.