[vtk-developers] Class design for spline visualizations

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Apr 20 09:12:00 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 22:53:50 -0400, David Thompson wrote:
> Thanks for pushing the branch to gitlab.
>
> > Do I need to make a merge requests for that? There are still many
> > things to be improved in the code.
>
> You can submit merge requests -- but not to vtk/vtk. I have created a
> new group named splines and added you as a developer. Please fork this
> repository:
>
>     https://gitlab.kitware.com/splines/vtk

I have local (largely untested, but a smoke test succeeded) changes
which allow submitting MRs to other forks of the same project, so this
whole repo shuffle thing should be unnecessary once that gets some more
testing (and we should finally have a complete end-to-end test instance
up and running here this week).

> You will have to tell gitlab to delete your existing fork of VTK (only
> on the web, not the files on your computer!) and fork that repository
> instead in order to submit merge requests. To remove your current fork
> of VTK, visit:
>
>     https://gitlab.kitware.com/Lin.Ma/vtk/edit
>
> Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the red "Remove project"
> button. Then you can fork splines/vtk by visiting
>
>     https://gitlab.kitware.com/splines/vtk
>
> and clicking its "Fork" button at the top right of the page. You will
> see that splines/vtk already contains your filters-bezier branch and
> that I have made some changes (so that it meets the VTK style
> guidelines).

Probably easier to just rename the project rather than deleting it.
Alternatively, give developer access to Lin.Ma for splines/vtk and make
an MR from splines/vtk to itself.

> Please review the changes and make sure you understand what I've done.
> If you are unsure what I did or why I did it, please ask.
>
> Once you have reviewed the changes, please make a small change and
> submit a merge request from Lin.Ma/vtk filters-bezier to vtk/splines
> filters-bezier to test that merge requests work.

FYI, kwrobot and buildbot do not act on reporitories other than the ones
specified in their scripts, so your @buildbot test I saw will go
ignored until it shows up as an MR on vtk/vtk.

--Ben