[vtk-developers] Class design for spline visualizations

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Apr 8 18:14:53 EDT 2015

Hi Lin,

> 1. If I want to submit the PatchIterpolation class, do I need to follow the VTK coding conventions e.g. inheriting from vtkObject, naming with a prefix "vtk"?

Before your branch gets merged into VTK, yes. Merging stuff (other than small fixes or modifications to existing classes) into VTK master will probably not happen until the end of the summer when things are tested and stable. I would put it on a separate branch from memoize-factorial so that memoize-factorial can be merged once it's done (it is a small improvement to an existing class).

For now, we can continue developing on the new branch. Or, if you prefer, you can create a separate repository on gitlab to hold just the patch/spline classes.

> 2. Where should I put the code, the "Testing" folder?

I would add a new VTK module to a branch of your VTK fork (or to a new repository). Name the new module Filters/Bezier or Filters/RationalFunctions. You can use Filters/Geometry as a starting point for modules.cmake, CMakeLists.txt, and the files in Testing/Cxx/....

	David