[vtk-developers] VES-Kiwi

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Oct 24 11:14:18 EDT 2014

Some history is useful here. Back when VES started VTK rendering was based
on the old fixed pipeline which does not work with OpenGL ES. To render on
Android/iOS they needed to implement a rendering engine built on OpenGL ES.
Due to cost and time constraints they felt they did not have time to put
that codebase into VTK proper. Now we have the time and funding to work on
that. It is a work in progress and still at an early stage but VTK master
includes alpha support for compiling and rendering on Android and iOS. More
specifically:

-          VTK now includes toolchain files and a number of fixes so that
it can build on android and iOS

-          There are now Android and iOS example programs in the Examples
Directory in VTK, for the brave that is the place to start and there are
readme files

-          Very basic multitouch support has been added for android, iOS,
and Windows systems (OpenGL2 backend)

-          A rework of the rendering system to fit with OpenGl 2.1 which
gets us close to OpenGL ES 2.0 along with some nice performance
improvements.

-          An implementation of a shader based volume renderer we think
could work with OpenGL ES 3.0

-          More fixes needed to deal with OpenGL ES 2.0.

-          A testing dashboard to make sure it builds on iOS

There is a ***lot*** still to be done including

-          migrating some of the useful bits of code from VES to somewhere
in VTK

-          setting up android dashboards

-          setting up dashboard tests to verify the built code runs and
renders

-          converting some additional old OpenGL code to 2.1/ES standards

-          Creating more examples for both platforms

-          lots more testing

-          better build support for iOS, it is a bit clunky/limited

-          bunch of stuff I’m forgetting

So right now we are in the awkward time where we are moving to having most
the VES functionality in VTK, but it is not really ready for prime time
yet.  I believe maintenance of VES/Kiwi is limited but happening.

Hope that helps some!

Thanks

Ken

Ken Martin PhD

Chairman & CFO

Kitware Inc.

28 Corporate Drive

Clifton Park NY 12065

ken.martin at kitware.com

518 881-4901 (w)

518 371-4573 (f)

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.