[vtk-developers] post hackathon process suggestions?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Oct 6 12:07:26 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:

> * About the software process doc.
>
> - I like the trivial editing and collaborative commenting on google docs. I
> also like the access control model. Approved authors can do whatever they
> want to it, everyone else on the web can suggest edits and those are trivial
> for approved authors to accept.
> - I agree that we need a way to simply reference it and its content. How
> about we simply put a note note in it saying where the master/editable
> version is, export the doc to pdf every release or so, and make
> references/links to the exported read only copy?

This is just my opinion, but Google doc, PDF, etc all suffer from not
being very accessible on the web. I see the draw of Google docs for
editing, and use it for many things but this doesn't seem like the
best fit to me. I would love to see at least pieces that are relevant
move back to the wiki, and thought this move was temporary (but I
don't remember any of the discussion about moving/keeping these docs
in a Google doc).

Exporting it to the CMS would work too, and restrict editing, if that
was possible. You know what I think now, if others think it works then
I can accept that and work with it. If it is long term a more
memorable link would be great for including in slides, wiki pages,
etc. On the positive side I think the actual content is an enormous
step forward, which is why I would like to make it as accessible as
possible.

Best,

Marcus