[vtk-developers] GSOC 2014

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Mar 18 08:17:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Shivoam Malhotra
<shivoam.malhotra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> My name is Shivoam Malhotra. I am an undergraduate student pursuing a degree
> in computer science and engineering and am currently in my third year. I
> have experience in programming in C,C++ and Java and have used openGL in my
> earlier projects. I am familiar with version control. However, I have never
> used vtk before.

http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/GSoC_2014 has most of the information you
should need, we would like to see students at least build VTK and
submit a simple patch as part of the application process. Please let
us know if you have trouble getting and building

> I would like to be a part of vtk this gsoc. I know I am a bit late in
> contacting you but I hope I'll be able to submit a proposal before the
> deadline of March 21. I have gone through the ideas page and the projects
> biochemistry visualization and supporting solid model geometry in vtk seem
> to suit my skill set. I will start by building the dev version.

Sounds great.

> Could someone please help me narrow down between the above mentioned 2
> projects? (depending on which might be a higher priority for you and/or if
> someone else is already working on one or both of the projects)

Both are ideas that we would support, solid model geometry has not had
as many students ask about it. We would like to see students take the
basic idea, investigate it and expand on the very brief ideas
expressed on that page.

Thanks,

Marcus