[vtk-developers] Quad Buffer Stereo with Headtracking and OpenGL

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Jul 10 16:54:20 EDT 2014

Hi Iven,

We already have a code for it in ParaView. Actually most of the classes are
VTK classes so in theory we can move them to VTK. If this sounds
interesting to you let me know and I can help you with the code.

- Aashish

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM, <iven87 at gmx.de> wrote:

>   Hi vtk developers,
>
> I’m trying to implement stereo rendering via quad-buffer-stereo.
> Unfortunately, I can’t just use the crystal eye setting in the
> vtkRenderWindow, because I use headtracking and thus have special
> model+view and projection matrices.
>
> So i need a place to implement the following logic:
> -set the modelview and projection matrix for the left eye
> -render the scene in GL_BACK_LEFT Buffer
> -set the modelview and projection matrix for the right eye
> -render the scene in GL_BACK_RIGHT Buffer
>
> I’ve investigated the vtkRenderer, vtkOpenGLRenderer, vtkRenderWindow,
> vtkOpenGLRenderWindow, and vtkCamera. I am not sure which class/functions I
> should override. Should I even use existing vtk stereo functionality or
> would it be wiser to “just” extend monoscopic render behavior?
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Iven

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*