[vtk-developers] Quad Buffer Stereo with Headtracking and OpenGL

iven87 at gmx.de iven87 at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 16:40:09 EDT 2014

Hi vtk developers,

I’m trying to implement stereo rendering via quad-buffer-stereo. Unfortunately, I can’t just use the crystal eye setting in the vtkRenderWindow, because I use headtracking and thus have special model+view and projection matrices.

So i need a place to implement the following logic:
-set the modelview and projection matrix for the left eye
-render the scene in GL_BACK_LEFT Buffer
-set the modelview and projection matrix for the right eye
-render the scene in GL_BACK_RIGHT Buffer

I’ve investigated the vtkRenderer, vtkOpenGLRenderer, vtkRenderWindow, vtkOpenGLRenderWindow, and vtkCamera. I am not sure which class/functions I should override. Should I even use existing vtk stereo functionality or would it be wiser to “just” extend monoscopic render behavior?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Iven