[vtk-developers] VTK_ENABLE_KITS and VTK_ENABLE_VTKPYTHON

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 19:54:51 EDT 2014

What are these options and what do they do? They have appeared in the
recent master.
To amplify:
1) I am wondering why KITS are being brought back and how linking will
work. In the case of the usual modular VTK you can, in your CMakeLists.txt
file, specify a minimal set of libraries. Will this change if KITS are
used? If it does, I see more problems in supporting the two different
versions of VTK i.e VTK and VTK with kits, in the CMakeLists.txt files.
2) Why is there a need to specify that vtkpython and pvtkpython be built? I
would have thought that once Python is selected that these are built as a
matter of course.

Also I see some work is being done to support Python 3. Will there be an
option to select which version of Python to use?
As for the tests, I think most of the tests should run in Python 3 the only
tests I can think that wont are those with a print statement and this is
easily fixed for both Python 2.6+/3.

Regards
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean