[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::EXTENT_TRANSLATOR

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Aug 27 07:36:05 EDT 2014

Hi John,

Check out:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Parallel_Pipeline

Overall, load balancing should be much easier now. The reader can make
arbitrary partitioning decisions but can still get requests from downstream
about partitioning. Two main strategies:

- Downstream send extent + piece requests, reader does its own partitioning
based on these two
- Downstream send specific extent requests to each rank (and no piece)

The first one is appropriate to ParaView.

This is much more robust and works through extract vois with subsampling
etc. Something that never worked well in parallel.

-berk