[vtk-developers] VTK code review / testing / integration workflow

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 10:29:27 EDT 2014

>  - Gerrit hurks something awful when a commit shows up in two branches

>  - Gerrit is awful at branch dependencies (mainly due to the lack of
>    the concept and attempts being thwarted by the above issue);

Perhaps, just perhaps, avoiding branch dependencies in the first place
is the proper solution to such a problem, rather than requiring your
review tool to handle it. Branch dependencies are also hard to handle
 from a mental/human perspective -- it's not just the tools -- better to
have independent branches. Or, to wait for the first branch to make it
all the way back to master before starting the second branch.

I know, I know. git was supposed to eliminate the need for patience and
perseverence, right? ;-)

>  - Comments are per patch set and not carried over if the commented-on
>    code didn't change which makes fixing half the comments on a review
>    a pain.

That is a pain -- but is it handled any better in one of the other
suggested workflows?