[vtk-developers] question about PRIVATE_DEPENDS in cmake

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Sep 20 16:32:17 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM, burlen <burlen.loring at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would someone be able to help me figure out what's wrong with my code on
> p90n03.pbm.ihost.com? My ctest fails to link
> http://open.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=3034452.
>
> the issue seems to be missing symbols from KWSys, I'm not sure exactly
> what's the problem since the code compiles and links everywhere else.  in my
> modlue.cmake I have vtksys in the PRIVATE_DEPENDS section. I haven't found
> documentaiton of the vtk_module macro, but I think PRIVATE_DEPENDS is
> applied to ctests too? Other thought maybe std::string isn't the same as
> kwsys_stl::string? but it compiles so doesn't sound like it either...
> probably overlooking something obvious...a solution's jumping not out at me.
> I would need to poke around on that system a little to figure this out, so
> any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think PRIVATE_DEPENDS would apply to tests, so if you are
using it there you would have to specify it in the tests depends too.
PRIVATE_DEPENDS is intended to specify something that is linked to
privately, i.e. LINK_PRIVATE in target_link_libraries, the include
directories etc only apply for the module and nothing downstream
(including test executables).

Hope that makes it clearer.

Marcus