[vtk-developers] VTK ExternalData default object store

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue May 21 13:40:54 EDT 2013

On 05/21/2013 01:32 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Just to be clear: I advocate for a default setting which avoids
> multiple copies of the data directory regardless of the number of
> source and build directories involved.
>
> Also just to be clear: I've said my piece, and now I'll be quiet. I,
> too, will live with whatever the final decision is, and will adapt my
> own environments to avoid duplication, even if it does not happen
> automatically by default.

My argument is only that default behavior with *no* local configuration
should not touch anything outside the source or build tree.  This would
be like saying that

 git clone git://some/repo.git clone1
 git clone git://some/repo.git clone2

should magically share a Git object database somewhere outside either
tree, like ~/.gitobjects/ for example.  Then following the above with

 rm -rf clone1 clone2

would not actually erase the local copy of objects from repo.git or
fully un-do the original clone operations.

-Brad