[vtk-developers] VTK 6.0 - QT 5

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:22:15 EDT 2013

I agree we should put time aside to work on this. I have been experimenting
having both QT4 and QT5 on the same machine and CMake definitely has no
problems finding the correct version of QT (in Windows). It should be
possible to support either QT4 or QT5 i.e. test for Qt5 and if not there
use Qt4.

Regards
   Andrew

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Andrew Maclean
> <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com> wrote:
> > May I suggest that before code freeze occurs that support for QT5 be
> added
> > in?
> > The reason for this is that the latest release of Ubuntu (13.04)
> installs QT
> > 5.0.1 by default and if upgrading, it removes QT 4.x.
> >
> > This will also have implications for ParaView.
> >
> > Let me know how I can help.
> >
> > I don't feel fully competent delving into the complexity of the CMake
> files
> > in VTK! But now I have Ubuntu 13.04 installed I can test.
> >
> > One reference I found was an entry in Mantis:
> > http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2012-February/010883.htmlwhich
> > seems to suggest some header file changes need to be made in the QT code
> in
> > VTK.
> >
> > This thread indicates that there has been a bit of activity in this area:
> >
> http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Build-vtk-5-10-1-againt-qt-5-0-1-td5719101.html
> >
> As Berk said, I think there are more changes needed and we are just
> about to freeze. This is a far easier migration than 3 to 4, but would
> probably require a few weeks. It would be surprising if Ubuntu were
> not providing a facility to install Qt 4 and 5 (last I heard they
> were), I think we are far from the last project that hasn't migrated
> over yet.
>
> It would be great to put some time aside to work on this after VTK 6
> branches, as you point out more distros are moving to Qt 5 (although
> many are ensuring that 4 and 5 can coexist on the same system).
>
> Marcus

Andrew J. P. Maclean