[vtk-developers] [VTK 0014042]: vtkImageStencilData returns random bad lines

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed May 1 16:13:44 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=14042
Reported By:                Nil Goyette
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   14042
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-05-01 16:13 EDT
I have a mitk::Mesh which I know is a well-defined closed surface because I can
see it and, as intructed in [1], vtkFeatureEdges returns 0 bad feature. This
mesh looks like http://i.imgur.com/1HWqmmy.jpg. It may be hard to see, but it's
a heart countour, with no bottom. The middle volume is empty, the mesh only
defines the contour.

So, here's the pipeline
1. A vtkPolyData that I'm pretty sure is valid because in [1], David Gobbi
advises to use vtkFeatureEdges and vtkCleanPolyData, both of which return what I
want.
2. vtkImageStencilData using vtkPolyDataToImageStencil with tolerance = 1.0
3. Create a binary image with this stencilData using vtkImageStencil

Like the guy in [1], I obtain random lines at the bottom of my polyData. You can
see them here http://i.imgur.com/k9jXgg7.jpg. I don't understand where these
lines come from. They dissapear when tolerance = 0.0, but I can't set tolerance
to 0 because sometime the countour is really thin, so it will dissapear.

Another advice in [1] is to recompile vtk using double in
vtkPolyDataToImageStencil, but this is not an option for us. So, what can I do
to get rid of these lines?

[1]
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Problem-with-vtkPolyDataToImageStencil-td5714947.html

Issue History