[vtk-developers] Measuring the area of arbitrary polygons

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Mar 12 10:31:45 EDT 2013

Hi P,

> Is anyone aware of a routine already available to measure the surface area of arbitrary planar polygons in VTK, including non-convex ones?

I don't know of anything in VTK to handle concave polygons. For convex ones, I believe the triangulate filter followed by the mesh quality filter should get you the area of a decomposition of the polygon. Assuming that the triangulate filter creates pedigree IDs, you could sum areas with matching pedigree IDs.

	David