[vtk-developers] Adding VTKData and VTKLargeData as optional submodules

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Mar 6 13:29:56 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
<jchris.fillionr at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Since by default, it seems the ExternalProjects CMake module is doing a
> recursive update on sub-modules, how would these VTK sub-modules be
> considered as optional in that case ?
>
> See
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/ExternalProject.cmake;h=bf2892b741e0d5551ecd310c461289a09e214cf6;hb=HEAD#l318

External project could be modified not to do that, and having them
there is unlikely to hurt things (but would increase time to
checkout).

> When building project that depends on VTK, we can not assume VTK will be
> built with testing enabled.

We are not, and external project is one possible way of obtaining VTK
that could easily be modified.

> Instead wouldn't it make more sens to generalize what ITK folks are doing to
> make its easy to reuse for other projects ?

I don't know how much clearer I can be, I said in the original post
that after discussing this with Berk we agree that external data is
the way to go long term but he doesn't feel that we have the
time/resources (correct me if I am wrong Berk) to do that at this
time. This was suggested as a possible interim solution - we are well
aware of the ITK/CMake external data solution.

Marcus