[vtk-developers] Newbie developer

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jun 18 19:20:49 EDT 2013

Welcome to VTK!

Sorry for the delayed response Ghyslain, the developers are all quite
busy. I am sure you are too, so know I mean it when I say, thanks for
contributing!

First, make sure you've run Utilities/SetupForDevelopment.sh so that you
get the gerrit remote and sanity checking scripts in place.

Next, start your work off of either the master or release branches. The
advantage of starting from release is that it makes it easier to get the
code into the next official release. The disadvantage is that over time,
master diverges from the release branch point and it can become harder to
merge your change in to master to have it automatically regression tested.
Right now I'ld say:
> git checkout master; git pull; git checkout -b some_name_for_your_topic

(note, if you use XXXXX-topic-name, where XXXXX is the corresponding bug
number in mantis, mantis automatically adds notes when you commit)

Next, make your changes, check that it does what you want it to, run the
regression tests, and then commit it locally.
> make changes; manual test; ctest; git add files_you_changed; git commit

  (Note: it helps to run ctest on master locally to make sure your build is
alright before this. You should expect 95% or more of the tests to pass. If
you see worse than that, check the dashboards to see if something is up
with that day's master and if not be assured it is something on your build.)

Next, (since you've run SetupForDevelopment) run:
> git-gerrit-push
to share your topic with the world. This pushes the topic to the gerrit git
server, where we all can see and review your change. (note any gerrit
review comment with #XXXXX in it gets tracked automatically by the bug
tracker too.)

Now you've got to get your work tested and reviewed.

For safety reasons, we don't automatically merge or even compile and run
regression tests on submitted code. So the trick is that you've got to get
the attention of an approved developer. Try a:
> git log --follow
on the files you've changed to see who might be a good person to review the
change. Add that person as a reviewer in gerrit. If that fails, ping the
developers mailing list and ask someone for a review with the url of your
gerrit topic.

Eventually the reviewer(s) will look at the change and perhaps ask you to
submit additional changes. Make those on the same topic and push them to
gerrit as before. Once the reviewer thinks its OK to do so, they will make
a comment on the topic in gerrit that says "request build" to will trigger
quick regression tests of the topic on mac, windows and linux. If those
turn out alright, the reviewer will merge your change into master, again
through gerrit.

Once your change is in master you have to watch the continuous and nightly
sections of the dashboard for a day or to. To see if any problems snuck by
the quick gerrit checks. If something does turn up, make your fixes on the
same topic and push them as above.

HTH and welcome to the party.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.