[vtk-developers] Newbie developer

Ghyslain Leclerc ghleclerc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 16:11:12 EDT 2013

Hello to all.

First mail here, so my apologies if it is out of place.  Tried (maybe not successfully) to follow the advice on the wiki about asking good questions.  I would also like to apologize in advance for my English, as it is not my first language.  Please be patient with me.  With that out of the way...

I am a mostly self-taught programer.  My true profession is a medical physicist.  At work, we are currently (happily, thanks for the library by the way) using VTK to develop some applications.  Whenever we build programs linking to VTK, we have a ton of deprecation warnings whenever we include IO classes header vtkIOstream.h.  All those warnings sometimes obscure other deprecation warnings that we would like to know about and so we would like to see them disappear.

I made a Mantis bug report (0014036) about it which is not assigned to anyone.  Realizing that you might not have the time to fix this seemingly unimportant bug / annoyance, I set out to try and fix it myself.  I feel this would let me give back a (very) little bit to the community.  So I got a Gerrit account, setup git, my ssh key and then cloned VTK and VTKData as is recommended in the Wiki.

Unfortunately, I am now stumped.  I cannot understand what branch or topic I should try to put my work into.  Is there a step-by-step tutorial that I can follow for my situation ?  Is there someone who would like to invest the time to get me up and running.  I am also uncertain as to what the procedure would be for me to submit my work for evaluation.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask such basic questions.

In any case, thanks.

Ghyslain